Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Nina and Pinta




We travel the US and experience many places and people. But imagine traveling 4,000 miles of the Atlantic Ocean in a 65 ft. ship with all your possessions and the unknown world ahead. The Nina and Pinta were docked at Green Turtle Bay this weekend. The Nina is 100% scale of the original ship and the Pinta is 200% scale. Extremely small for such a crossing.




I snook a look via kayak on Thursday night! Paddled across 2 bays and had a good visit with Constance aboard the Nina. So much fun. In fact, Denise and I took the tour of the ships on Saturday to get the full view. The crew was wonderful, explaining all parts of the ships and their sailing schedule. Constance was our friend and gave us a great tour of the Nina. I am over whelmed by the history of the ships.




Now, the unusual. I have volunteered for a crew position aboard each ship. I can crew for 4-6 weeks and experience the sailing of these ancient vessels. Denise has encouraged this adventure and if I can gain a berth I am on my way. We did meet Capt. Kyle on the Nina and he encouraged me. He explained He enjoyed his whiskey and I promised to provide Kentucky's best, Woodford Reserve upon my arrival as part of the crew. So, we will see. I applied today and hope to catch the ships at Huntsville, AL. You just never know when a berth will be available.


It appears that the best shot at a berth is if you are a Cook. Well, I am adapt with crock pots, and grills. Constance encouraged me to be a cook. I did ask Capt. Kyle if the crew got their daily allowance of "grog". He answered the are sailors. So, I promised to provide Kentucky's best bourbon, Woodford Reserve. He mentioned they do not drink while working, but the are "sailors". Sounds good to me.


Look for the Nina and Pinta in your area along the Tennessee River. If you spy a slightly drunk sailor with a few years on his head, that might be me.


Have fun, Happy Trails,



Barry Denise, Bailey and Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment