Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The CurrentRriver


After another day of driving, we determined to see the Current River. My Kentucky horse friends recommended the river and I may have time to kayak. The "girls" Bailey and Bella will have to stay at home. The drive was uneventful until I left Highway 60 at Van Buren, MO. Now I was not prepared for the climb up to the Yogi Bear Campground. Having called in advance, the owner indicated a 50 amp site was available. However, upon my arrival I attempted to back into the site. Yuck!! My rear jacks were dragging on the concrete pad. This was due to the severe slop up from the drive. Not wanting to damage the jacks, I opted for a 30 amp site nearby and moved. Not a problem.

View Larger Map
Next was my plan to paddle a portion of the Current River. I enlisted the cooperation of a campground staffer to lead me to the town ramp in Van Buren and leave my vehicle for the return trip to Yogi. She was experienced in all kayaking and returned me to the campground and my kayak. I put in at the campground gravel/dirt ramp and floated away.

My expedition down the Current was wonderful. The river has a good steady current but you can exit the current and just drift or remain still. Just a few riffles were found in the 1.5 hours and 3 beers I drifted. I did encounter two small groups tubing the river. The river is busy during the weekend but quiet during the week. The little town of Van Buren did have a couple of eateries but I opted to dine with my girls.

Tomorrow is planned for the Trip to Grand Rivers, KY and the Canal Campground, our weekend home. That should continue to be an adventure.

Happy Trails,

Denise, Barry, Bailey and Bella.

No comments:

Post a Comment