Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fighting Reality

Your goals in life seem to change as you age.  That I suppose is normal.  Fleeing reality is not a common goal but has evolved into mine.  I continue to push for my reality to be travel exploring new worlds.  I just know the country and world is awaiting the explorations of this aging fellow.
View Bend of the Rivers condos in a larger map


I suppose I am fighting writers block. I do not want to talk about my daily things, but offer enlightening thoughts along our way. Alas, we have not been underway in several weeks.   This thought leads me back to my original fleeting thought of changing reality.  We have worked hard in recent years to acquire out beloved "Phaeton" motor home, our trawler "0 Regrets" and now a new haven at Lake Barkley.  Yes, another location.  We are scheduled to close next week on our condo at the lake.  Now let us consider the geography of this.  Our boat is 10 miles by land from the condo or 30 min. by water, out motor home can be stored at the lake within 5 miles of the other 2 locations.  Our current home is located 45 min. east in Madisonville, KY.  Let us do the math.  That would work out to an average of 7.5 days per location in a given 30 day month.  Everyone needs 4 locations.

Our hope is to relocate to Lake Barkley and Green Turtle Bay area within a couple of years.  Letting someone else own the "big house" in Madisonville and we can enjoy the travel option.  The little condo is so easy with a small maintenance fee and all we have to do is lock the door and drive or sail away. 

I finally know my emotions.  That only took 62 years.  I hate to store the motor home or boat for long periods of time when they are meant to travel.  That really applies to me.  The challenge will be using the motor home and boat while residing in the condo.  Not a problem for me but my loving wife has a "real" job and feels the need to commute to work.  Our long trips can be via water or highway but long trips will be ventured.  Just imagine Columbus saying to his wife "honey I will sail away for the weekend but will return by Monday."  NOT.

I do not long to be the explorer but I want to explore my world, dying exhausted.  I want to sail, feel the wind and water on my skin, wonder what lays ahead over the rolling ribbon of road and all the new souls I will share this world with.  I do not want to do this alone.  If I cannot share the journey what fun is to be gained by seeing the constellations at sea, mountain wonders of the west and seas yet sailed.  I feel that clock ticking and the time is now.

I feel the next two years will open up the opportunities we need to expand the horizons and make the break. Just a feeling in my bones or maybe the wine.  Who cares?   So if you see us watching the GPS looking for a Wal Mart to camp, or on the fly bridge of "0 Regrets" give a wave and wish us fair sailing.   I know the wind will be at our back.

Barry, Denise, Bella, Bailey,
"0 Regrets" and the Phaeton.

No comments:

Post a Comment