Sunday, November 7, 2010

Farewell to the Nina


All things of importance have an ending. Mine occurred at 9 am. 11/5/2010. The departure of seaman Young from the Nina was an emotional event, particularly for me. I have experienced 5 weeks and endured the demands of crewing a 65 ft. sailing vessel with 4 crew members and a captain. This is a bit arduous but not beyond enjoyment of a unique experience.



I tried to summarise my crew in prior articles in this blog and Internet newspaper. I have been astonished to have visitors to our ship from all ports ask for "Barry" and the guy from Kentucky who is writing articles. Much to my surprise they have been reading about the Nina and my experience. It is rewarding to be read when the purpose of my articles is to document for myself and friends my unique experience as crew of the Nina.



I must summarize my Crew once again:



Captain: Kyle a highly experience sailor of vessels over 100 tons with experience in all seas. A great leader for the crew as well as a friend. While hard work is expected, Kyle is always on board to lend a hand and teach seamanship.



1st Mate: Vic is a sailor of sailors. Having boarded the Nina in California for an 8 week vacation and remained aboard for over 2 years, he is committed to the Nina and the Columbus Foundation. I answered directly to Vic but he was an inspiration and teacher to this old sailor from Vietnam.



Senior Crew: Andrew, only 2 months with the Nina, Andrew is the senior crew member. While

a young man, 21 yrs, he has the gift of learning and an excellent work ethic. He leads by example being on deck prior to any other crew member. No matter the celebration of the prior evening. We are sailors, remember!



Alan: A 20 yr. maritime sailor, Alan is the most experienced of the crew. Alan has sailed all seas on numerous ships including the old boom ships, tankers and cargo vessels. Having started sailing at age 17, Alan has grown up on the sea. Alan is distinguished by the 3 ft. pony tail which has not been trimmed in 20 years. His life along the coast of Florida is perfect for this shell back.



Constance: A mighty "Cookie" as well described in a previous article. She was missed by a spoiled crew and our hope is she will return to fight another day. We hope she finds enjoyment in retirement years, no matter what her adventures.



Barry: A 4 year sailor, in Vietnam having experienced the brown water navy, has finally landed aboard a sailing vessel. This old sailor has had many first experiences. One of this is working with 1,000 of the public daily, including many school children. While the crew is not paid, we do share in tips. I have never had a tip in my working life. Now I have a new appreciation for those who depend on tips for a living. I have learned the humbling life of sailor from Alan and understand like never before, the demands of the public and patience required by the servers of the public. I will remember this each time I pay a check and include a generous tip.



Farewell to our "ship's Mouse". Alas, our ship's mouse expired one day recently, having put his nose where it did not belong. After eating our bread the mouse was tempted by peanut butter. However, he was a seasoned sailor and we felt he desired an internment at sea. Therefore, we fashioned a plank with sail cloth shroud for his internment. All hands were on deck for the ceremony. Our Captained officiated saying a portion of the poem "My Captain, my Captain". At the property moment, the shroud was loosed and the body was interned in the Tennessee River. A solemn moment experienced by all.



Farewell to all who have read my articles. I hope to chronicle future adventures along my voyages around this wonderful country.




Happy Sailing to all,




Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment