Saturday, December 12, 2015


The JADE PRINCESS

 


I have the privilege of serving aboard the Jade Princess, a MV bound for St. Petersburg, FL.  Captain Gordon asked me to help crew aboard this 78 ft. Pluckebaum boat being delivered to the owner.  My crew mate is Thadeus a 23 yr. old man having served with Captain Gordon in a prior delivery.  We seem to be making a good crew after learning the habits and sailing plan of our captain. 

We are currently in the “ditch” as the upper portion of the Tom Bigbee Waterway is known.  We have a voyage of about 1,100 nm to our destination.  We experienced strong currents the first 200 miles but not are on the downward leg of the river portion.  Cruising now at 10 knts. The boat is performing admirably. 

We are making about 60 to 90 miles per day with the limited amount of sunlight.  Due to the debris in the river we are not cruising past dark.  The boat has twin Caterpillar diesels and a somewhat flat bottom.  We will experience some roll when crossing the Gulf to St. Pete.  The boat handles well with a bow thruster and twin engines.  We will transit 11 locks to Mobile Bay.  We hope to get a push from the current below the first lock at Whitten Dam.  We are burning about 13.5 gal. per hour which includes the on board generator.  This is actually an economic burn. 

Not many people would enjoy our cruising speed, however, I have friends who comment wishing they could have this experience.  I just tell them they can with a commitment and that all precious commodity of “time”.  I am fortunate to have a very patient wife, Denise, who shares my passion for travel and accommodates my adventures. 

I will try to find the time to update the blog after this long absence.  I am trying to establish another blog on word press but stumbling around the site.

Happy sailing all.

Aboard

Jade Princess

At Columbus, MS.

No comments:

Post a Comment